søndag 11. mars 2012

Henna part two

Ok, so if you happen to be my impatient sister, you are probably expecting to see a picture of my newly henndigoed hair here now. Well, sorry to disappoint you, sis, but there are a few things that you may or may not know about henna.

When you dye with henna, the henna takes some time to oxidize, this means that the "final" colour won't be true until a few days after the dyeing process. This is one of the things I find fascinating with henna. I actually went to bed yesterday with a lighter shade than when I woke up this morning! So you can probably understand why I won't put up a picture yet. I probably should have taken a picture last night when the dye process was finished, and have done a comparison over the next days, but I didn't think about it then, to be honest.

What I'll do, though, is put up the "recipe" I used yesterday, just in case anyone's interested.

I started with boiling up water, putting 3 bags of chamomile tea in a large mug, and adding the water. I let this cool off for a while. I put a 100 g bag of Fresh Organic Rajasthani Indian Henna Powder in a bowl, added the tea. I also like to add a few drops of essential oils, yesterday my mix was of lemongrass, thyme and clary sage oil. I mixed this well, covered it with plastic wrap, and let it rest until dye release. (I test the mix after ca 1 hour, 1 1/2 hour and so on, by putting a small amount of the mix in my palm. If it stains a bright orange colour, it's ready.)

When the henna mix is getting ready, I warm up some more water to 40 degrees Celsius. I measured up around 35 grams of indigo, and and mixed it with water. I then mixed the amla with water. All the three mixes were kind of thick, a bit thicker than yoghurt, I guess. I know the usual descriptions says pancake batter, but European pancake batter is quite thin, and I like my henna mixes thicker than that, so they don't start running when it's on the hair.

While all three mixes are resting, all covered with plastic wraps, I wash my hair, and add a little bit of hair oil to it afterwards. When the mixes have been resting for 15-20 minutes, I mix them all together, and on to the hair it goes! This process can be a bit messy, so covering the nearby surroundings can be an idea, if it's not safe for colouring.

When I'm all done, I cover my head with a plastic bag, then cover the plastic bag with a sarong that I only use for hair dyeing, and wait. Dyeing with henna takes longer than chemical dyes, yesterday I waited approx. 2 1/2 hours before rinsing out. Henna can be hard to get out, but if you add conditioner to the hair, it gets easier.

So, that is the whole process, I think. And while you're waiting, I'll give you a picture of Nemi.













1 kommentar:

  1. Så det er sånn det foregår! Ja, ja. Da ser jeg gjerne litt på Nemi i mellomtiden :)

    SvarSlett

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...